Children in Care Rights and Complaints Process


Rights Responsibilities and Complaints Brochure

The Right to Make a Complaint

When you are living in care, you have certain rights. If you feel upset or think that these rules aren’t being followed, you can talk to your worker to find a solution. If talking doesn’t help, you can make a formal complaint. You can tell someone or write down your complaint and give it to your worker. This starts the formal complaint process.

First, talk to your worker. They are there to help you. If you’re upset with your worker, you can talk to their boss (their supervisor). You can even bring a friend with you when you talk. The supervisor will try to make things better. They will do this in about a week.

After a week, your worker or their supervisor will meet with you. They want to hear what upset you and they want to help.

Sometimes, they might need some more time to understand what is making you upset. But don’t worry, in about two weeks, they will tell you what they found. If they need more time, they will let you know and keep talking to you. You can also ask for an update any time.

If you’re upset with a certain person, your worker or their supervisor will have a talk with them. They will also talk to any other kids who saw what happened.

There is also a special helper called the Ontario Ombudsman. You can talk to them anytime and they can help too. Your worker can help you call or write to them. Ontario Ombudsman

Call toll free: 1-800-263-2841


When you are 12 or older, there’s a group of people who can help if you’re not happy where you live. They are called the Residential Placement Advisory Committee (RPAC). Your worker can help you talk to them too.

You can call the RPAC Coordinator at 519-404-6485.

If you are still not happy after talking to RPAC, your worker or their supervisor can help you talk to another group called the Child and Family Services Review Board.

If you need a lawyer, who is someone who knows a lot about rules and laws, your worker can help you call the Office of the Children’s Lawyer at (416) 314-8000.

Remember, we take your worries very seriously. We will keep a note of what you’ve said because we care about you.

For more information, please see the Children and Young Person's Rights Resource at

The Formal Complaint to a Society’s Internal Complaints Review Panel (ICRP) form is available on the ministry’s website as well as the Ontario Central Forms Repository, which can be accessed through the following links:

You have a right to:

Share your thoughts and concerns aboutthings that affect you

Have your views respected

Be told about decisions made, and howand why they were made.

Be informed of your rights and review them regularly.

Be told about what the Ontario Ombudsman’s Office can do for you, and how to contact them.

Your treatment, education or work programs.

Your participation in activities of your choice related to your creed, religion, community identity and cultural identity.

Your placement or your move to another placement.

The development of your plan of care and any changes made to it.

You have the right to respect for:

Your language and culture

Your religious beliefs or traditions

Your race and family background

Your sexual orientation, your gender identity and gender expression.

You have the right to feel safe: No-one has the right to hit you, hurt you, threaten you or make fun of you.

You have the right to privacy, which means:

You can visit with and speak to your family and extended family regularly and privately (unless a judge or your worker decides it would not be a good idea).

You can talk to your worker, your lawyer, or anyone else representing you (such as the Ombudsman or staff, a lawyer or a member of provincial or federal parliament) in private.

You can have your own personal property.

You can send mail and receive mail without having someone else read it, examine it or censor it (unless there are concerns that something harmful may be in the mail).

You have the right to good care including:

Healthy meals that meet your needs.

Regular medical, vision and dental care.

Clothing that fits you and is suitable for the weather and your activities. Being able to do dance, sports, arts or other activities, if you want to.

Practicing the religion or traditions of your choice in the way you choose. This includes attending services, ceremonies or classes and living your life according to your beliefs.

Not joining any religion, if that is your choice.

Participating in activities that are part of your culture or heritage. Getting an education that supports your abilities and interests, in your community if possible.

Questions? Ask your worker or contact the Office of the Ontario Ombudsman


Want more information? Follow this link:

The Formal Complaint to a Society’s Internal Complaints Review Panel (ICRP) form is available on the ministry’s website as well as the Ontario Central Forms Repository, which can be accessed through the following links: