WELCOME TO THE FAMILY CENTRE
Hello Community Members,
The Family Centre is open to the Public.
- We continue meeting the needs of our partners and community members in a safe and effective manner.
- Our rental spaces are available with full capacity.
- Our operational hours are Monday to Thursdays 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM, Fridays 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Saturdays and Sundays per request only, subject to approval.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Reception at the Family Centre 519-576-0540 ext. 3299 if you have any other question.
Family Centre Manager
Phone:519-576-0540 x2762 / Cell: 226-792-2493
Developed by professor, activist and author Maulana Ndabezitha Karenga, Ph.D., Kwanzaa centres seven principles that are practiced daily and culminates in a feast:
- Umoja (Unity) To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race. ...
- Kujichagulia (Self-Determination) ...
- Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility) ...
- Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics) ...
- Nia (Purpose) ...
- Kuumba (Creativity) ...
- Imani (Faith)
The intention of Kwanzaa is to give people of African descent an alternative to the dominant practices of society and an opportunity to celebrate themselves and their history.
Better Together at The Family Centre
Imagine a place where community groups and organizations work cooperatively to help children and families learn, share, and connect with others. The Family Centre is a very special place that does all that and more. It provides a welcoming, safe environment that focuses on the positive and helps build the strengths, wellness, and resiliency of children, youth, and families in our community.
The Family Centre is a bright and colourful facility owned and operated by Family and Children’s Services of the Waterloo Region. The Family Centre works with our community in a number of ways:
- In-House Partners: There are a number of organizations that run their services, supports, and programs out of our centre
- Community Partners: We work with a number of community organizations to bring important programs into The Family Centre
- Meeting Rooms: We have a variety of spaces - from 4 to 250 capacity - that we rent to community groups and organizations
- Special Projects: The Family Centre is home to a number of innovative projects to support children, youth, and families
Click a menu item to the left to navigate around our website and learn more about how you can connect with The Family Centre!
The Family Centre Regular Operating Hours and Contact Details
In 2001, Family and Children’s Services of the Waterloo Region joined together with families and community partners to talk about building a united, connected community for children and families where children would be safe, healthy and loved.
This was the beginning of The Family Centre where connections, relationships, and partnerships are made. It’s a place where children and families can find the programs and services they need to help them in growth, development, recreation, and educational achievement.
For Family and Children’s Services, working closely with community partners helps to develop prevention programming, enhances early identification of families requiring assistance, and provides a better response to the needs of children and youth at risk of harm.
The Family Centre helps children and families:
- identify and build on strengths they have
- expand the range of services available in making change
- seek greater stability and permanence for children and youth with family or alternative caregivers
- enhance the future life chances and opportunities for growth, development, recreation, and educational achievement
|Our Mission for The Family Centre: |
“Strengthening families through a community of collaboration”
|Our Vision for The Family Centre:|
“Strong families, a healthy community”.