Need to know more about Orange Shirt Day this Friday?
Need to know more about Orange Shirt Day this Friday? The Region of Waterloo has shared an informative list of resources.
Region of Waterloo
National Day for Truth and Reconciliation is Friday, September 30. This day honours the children who never returned home and Survivors of residential schools, as well as their families and communities. Public commemoration of the tragic and painful history and ongoing impacts of residential schools is a vital component of the reconciliation process.September 30 is also known as Orange Shirt Day.We encourage residents to take part in public commemorations by:
- Wearing orange on Friday
- Participating in a local event, such as the The Healing of The Seven Generations walk in downtown Kitchener (10 a.m.) or the City of Cambridge vigil in the Cambridge Sculpture Garden (7 to 9 p.m.)
- Tuning in to the livestream of the Remember Me: A National Day of Remembrance ceremony on Parliament Hill, a national gathering led by youth and children, at 10 a.m. on Friday. More info: https://remember-me-september-30.org/
We encourage everyone to spend time on their learning journey this week. Here are some ideas:
- Sign up for a virtual tour of Woodland Cultural Centre: https://woodlandculturalcentre.ca/upcoming-events/
- Make plans to visit Huron Natural Area in Kitchener to view the Indigenous murals: https://www.kitchener.ca/.../park.../huron-natural-area.aspx
- Check with your local library for resources, reading lists and programs
- Sign up for the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation newsletter: https://nctr.ca/news-and-events/news/newsletter/
We also acknowledge that while September 30 is an important moment to stop and reflect, there is still much to be done — all year long — to listen, learn, build trust, and engage in and advance Truth and Reconciliation in our community.
Learn more about National Day for Truth and Reconciliation: https://www.canada.ca/.../national-day-truth...
Learn more about Orange Shirt Day: https://www.orangeshirtday.org/